Sunday, March 23, 2014

Malaya Watson’s thoughts on being an “American Idol” contestant

Malaya Watson of Southfield performs on "American Idol" airing Wednesday, March 19, 2014 on FOX. Photo by Michael Becker - FOX. Copyright 2014 / FOX Broadcasting. 
During a short break between her physics and pre-calculus classes in Hollywood this week, Malaya Watson, 16, of Southfield shared her thoughts on the “American Idol” experience. She said she has learned to expect the unexpected as part of the competition, but being jarred awake early Monday morning by an earthquake took her by surprise.
“I wasn’t sure what was going on, because it was my first earthquake,” she said. “First it shook, then there were two or three waves. It was a little scary. But then, there are all kinds of surprises here every day.”
Watson says she’s getting more comfortable and settled into the weekly routine of selecting a song, practicing with the band, then performing live before America each week. How does she handle the nerves and pressure that come each performance, knowing it could be her last if she does not receive enough votes?
“It isn’t easy, but I make it look easy,” Watson said. “I really don’t get nervous, because I have been performing since I was 5 years old. I sang in church, the Michigan Opera Theater, Mosaic Youth Theater and so many places that I can’t remember them all. Once I am on stage, I’m fine.”
Watson says she appreciates every moment of the “Idol” experience, including all the extra little things contestants are asked to do. She regularly receives notes of encouragement from all over the world — Australia, Japan and especially the Philippines. Her mother is Filipino, and she and her father are both with Watson in California. As the youngest contestant, she says the others treat her like their “wild little sister.”
“We are all so close, and we really like each other,” Watson said of her fellow contestants. “We spend a lot of time together, but I still miss my friends back home. When I have free time, I call my friends and we tease each other. They are happy for me, but still treat me like Malaya, and that’s good.”
The young singer’s mother promised a computer if she made it to the Top 10, and she is now the proud owner of a MacBook Air.
“I love it,” said Watson. “It’s the first computer I’ve had that really works, and it is so helpful with my homework.”
Watson and Irene have beaten the odds. Competing against thousands of “Idol” hopefuls from across the county, they were among 211 singers to receive golden tickets to Hollywood. The are among the nine contestants who remain in the battle to become the next “American Idol.”

No comments:

Post a Comment