Thursday, March 13, 2014

"American Idol" down to 11, Oakland girls still singing

‘American Idol’ down to 11, Oakland girls still singing

Malaya Watson of Southfield sings "Take Me to the King" on "American Idol" March 5, 2014. Photo courtesy FOX Broadcasting 
Jena Irene of Farmington Hills performs on “American Idol XIII” March 5 on FOX. Photo courtesy of FOX Broadcasting 
Drained by a suspense and drama-filled results show Thursday night, 11 remained in the “American Idol” competition — including both Jena Irene of Farmington Hills and Southfield’s Malaya Watson.
For the second time, Jena Irene found herself in the bottom three, the contestants receiving the least amount of votes. Irene, Emily Piriz and MK Nobilette cringed together as host Ryan Seacrest announced Irene and Nobilette were safe and Piriz would be going home. “Home” was this week’s “American Idol” theme, so the contestants chose songs that reminded them of home. Irene chose “Suddenly I See” by KT Tunstall to share her warm memories, and to show America her upbeat side.
“It’s a song we played on family road trips,” Irene reminisced about growing up. “It takes me back to a special place. It’s happy.
“I love seeing the faces of my mom and two aunts in the audience tonight.”
Irene chose bright colors, including a red plaid shirt tied around her waist, to support the upbeat song, replacing the dark outfits of past performances.
“My song and outfit are happier, more fun and crazy with lots of color,” she said. “I hope America will like seeing this side of me, because I’ve shown a more serious side up till now.”
“Idol” judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr., on the other hand, had more serious spirits this week, throwing serious comments and sometimes cutting criticism to many of the contestants. While the judges liked Irene’s lighter side, they also urged her to crank­ up the energy level.
“You made some different choices this week,” Connick said. “I liked your energy, but you need to break loose.”
After landing in the bottom three of the “Idol” competition last week, 16-­year-­old Malaya Watson of Southfield offered a powerful performance singing the gospel song “Take Me To The King.” Wearing a simple white dress with smooth, long hair taming her locks, Watson calmly accompanied herself on the piano, then rose from the piano bench to crank up the emotion toward the end, proving she listened to the judges when they told her she needed to control her energy.
“I have goosies and tears in my eyes,” said Lopez in response to her performance. “I am so proud of you.”
IDOL LIFE
Although the days are long and the pressure intense, “Idol” contestants have settled into a routine. Irene said contestants select a song each Friday, checking it with the voice coaches,  then practice with the band on Monday.
“The stylists shop for you and show you the outfit on Monday,” she said. “We can make changes, but they do a great job for us. We even get to keep some of the clothes.”
Rounding out the week, Tuesdays are reserved for technical issues and blocking camera movement on stage. Then Wednesday starts with a dress rehearsal so contestants can practice one last time before their live performances. Thursdays comes the nerve-racking live results show, when the contestant with the lowest vote tally is sent home.
Both Irene, a high school senior at North Farmington High School, and 16-­year-­old Watson, a junior at Southfield High School, must spend three precious hours a day keeping up on school work. 
“I miss my friends, I miss everything about home, but I’m glad I’m here,” Watson said.
Irene echoed positivity.
“I practice my song constantly in my room,” she said. “I love what I’m doing. I love the applause.”
Irene spoke of the intensity of relationships among the contestants. 
“We have all become so close that it really doesn’t sink in that they are gone,” Irene said of those who are eliminated. “The talent is insanely good, and we all feel the pressure. But I have a beautiful feeling and I hope to be here a long time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment